About Indian Head Massage
What is Indian Head Massage?
An Indian Head Massage dispels stress, relieves tension in the neck, head and shoulders and promotes healthy hair.
It is a safe and simple, yet extremely effective form of massage that can assist hair growth and also provide relief from aches and pains.
History of Indian Head Massage
Massage has always played an important part in Indian life. When it is used in conjunction with herbs, spices and oils it has an important medical function and not only strengthens muscles and firms the skin but also encourages the body's own healing processes. It was originally developed by women as part of their daily grooming routine, different oils were used according to the varying seasons and the massage kept their hair stong and healthy.
Barbers in India also practised the skills and offered a vigorous scalp massage as an addition to cutting hair.
How does it work?
The head, neck and shoulders are the most important energy centres within your body. Think for a moment, when you are stressed or angry where does the tension seem to accumulate? Yes, in the neck, shoulders or in the form of a headache. In extreme cases it can manifest itself as hair loss! Indian Head Massage involves working with a firm and gentle rythym to help unknot blockages and so relieve this uncomfortable tension. The effect however, is not only physical; it works on your emotions too, calming the spirit and aiding relaxation.
The head and hair are very sensitive as the are full of nerve endings. This makes them very receptive to touch, massaging the head abd hair is deeply soothing and relaxing.
- Improves blood circulation to the head and neck area before speeding up the interchange of oxygen, nutrients, carbon dioxide and waste.
- Improves lymphatic drainage from the head and neck so aiding the removal of waste and toxins.
- Relieves tension in muscle tissue.
- Helps improve mobility in the neck and shoulder area.
- Relieves mental and physical strain improving concentration.
- Relieves eyestrain, headaches, sinusitis, congestion and insomnia.
- Helps to clear the mind and is revitalising so improves alertness and concentration levels.
- An antidote to stress, anxiety and mental tension.
- Balances the Chakras (energy centres) by releasing stagnant energy to help the body work in a more harmonious manner.